Poetry Contest Organized by SU Gender and Culture
Submission Deadline: December 15, 2021
Announcement of Winners: December 17, 2021
Speak the unspoken
For the first time, the Asian Institute of Technology, through the School of Environment, Resources and Development, opens a poetry contest that allows its students to be free and creative as they unleash the unspoken words of support, love, and respect to every person.
Submit your piece for a chance to win up to 5,000 BAHT in cash! Your poem should reflect the LGBTQIA+ community’s aspirations, agency, power, struggles, hopes, and/ love, using whatever style you prefer under the spectrum. There is no fee to enter our contests, so you have nothing to lose. You can submit up to 3 entries, so show us what you’ve got!
See the attached posters for more details. For queries, please contact the organizer at email@example.com.
Keep it coming.
POETRY CONTEST GUIDELINES
- The poet must be a current AIT student.
- Poetry can be written in any poetic style, reflecting LGBTQIA++ people’s aspirations, agency, power, struggles, hopes, and/ love
- The poem must be original. Plagiarism is a serious offense with serious consequences.
- Only up to three poems per person is allowed.
- Any entry containing cliché, overused phrases will not be accepted.
The sun is bright I love you All work and no play
- All poems must be written in English.
- Contest entries must be at least 3 but cannot exceed 26 lines (including stanza breaks) and cannot exceed 55 characters per line (including spaces between words). Any submission that exceeds these limits will be automatically disqualified. The poem title does not count as a line.
- The poem must be in single space.
- Poem must adhere to basic rules of capitalization:
(a) Do not type poem in all capital letters.
(b) Do not capitalize the first letter of every word.
(c) Only capitalize words that are proper (i.e. names and places).
(d) The first word of each line may be capitalized if it is done consistently throughout.
(e) Do not use “texting” lingo. Properly spell out all words and numbers.
- Poems containing language that is vulgar, offensive, or wholly inappropriate will not be accepted.
- The poem must be submitted in PNG or JPEG. Do not include your name or any other information at the end of your poem. Details, such as name and student ID, must only be indicated on the submission via email.
POETRY RATING AND CONTEST JUDGING
50% from the board of judges
50% online voting (only for AIT officials, faculty, and students)
B. Criteria for judging:
1. Relevance to the theme 50%
2. Creativity/Style and Originality 30%
3. Coherence of form and structure 10%
(harmony of words, presentation)
4. Clarity of imagery and language 10%
Moderate effort was made to incorporate poetic device: imagery, figurative language, alliteration, assonance, consonance, metaphor, simile, symbolism, diction, rhyme, rhythm, meter, personification, onomatopoeia, repetition, tone.
First prize: 5,000 BAHT, with Certificate of Recognition
Second prize: 3,000 BAHT, with Certificate of Recognition
Third prize: 2,000 BAHT, with Certificate of Recognition
All winners will be invited to join the open-microphone event in the first quarter of 2022.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Submit your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use “[Poetry Contest] Name” as your email subject.